Thursday, October 8, 2015

Academic Shoot reflection and critique

Reflection:

1. What challenges did you encounter while trying to get the photos following the rules I set out for you? 

     While shooting the photos, I discovered that it was hard to place the subject in a third of the photo. This was a problem with only the picture of the girl's hand because it was difficult to get into a position to take the photo making sure that her hand was in the rule of thirds. However, it wasn't very difficult to find lines because they can be photographed at any angle.

2. What technical aspects of photography or the assignment in general (focus, framing, holding the camera, etc.) did you find yourself thinking about the most? Provide a specific example of what you did to do this correctly.


     I thought about focus the most because no matter how cool the angle is, if the subject is not in focus, then the photo will not turn out very good. I feel like I did this well because my photos were focused on one thing and the subject wasn't blurry. When I was taking the photo of the paintbrushes, it was hard because I wanted all the paintbrushes to be in focus, however I think that I did a pretty good job of making sure that the paintbrushes were in a lot better focus than anything else.

3. If you could do the assignment again, what would you do differently now that you know some basic rules of photography?


     I would definitely go to a different classroom because, although people doing art is interesting, there was only one art class going on and they were writing down terms from a powerpoint. This made it hard to photograph because my photos didn't consist of people making awesome sculptures. Also, I would try to incorporate different rules such as balance and and lines (more defined lines). Lastly, I would try to frame the subject better and hold the camera at different levels and angles.

4. What things would you do the same?


     I would continue to stand on chairs/ lay on the floor to get the perfect angle. I would also put the subject(s) in the rule of thirds and focus on one main object.

5. When you go out with your next set of prompts, which rule do you think will be the easiest to achieve?


     I think that the rule of thirds will be the easiest because this rule is very simple and it is easy to place things in one third of the photo.

6. Which rule do you think will be the hardest to capture?


     I think that the rule of balance will be hard to achieve because it is hard for me to make sure that the photo is balanced and find "balanced" thing to take photos of.

7. What rule are you still not totally clear on and what can you do to figure out what that rule is?


     I am still not clear on balance because I don't quite know how you can tell if the photo is balanced or not. To figure it out, I will read more about it and study photos that follow  the rule of balance. 

Critique:

http://rebeccasphotojournalismblog.blogspot.com

     All her photos were very interesting, and followed different rules. I loved all the expressions on the students faces because it adds emotion and interest to the photo. I also like how the photos were at different angles. I think it was a very good choice to go to a theatre classroom.
 
     To improve the photos I think that the main subject, in some of the photos, should have been easier to locate. This could be achieved by cropping more of the objects in the foreground that are distracting, or taking the photo at a different angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment