Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Architecture Preview




La Pedrera, Spain



1. Antoni Gaudi and Josep Maria Jujol 
2. Between 1906 and 1912
3. Barcelona, Spain
4. You can visit it
5. No
6. It was created to be a combination of an apartment building and an office block.
7. I picked this building because the wavy lines of each story are fascinating and different. I love all the detail and the tall glass windows. The shape of the stone accents and statues are amazing and make this a unique and beautiful building.

Atomium, Belgium


1. Andre Waterkeyn
2. 1956-1958
3. Bruxelles, Belgium
4. You can visit
5. No
6. This structure was built for the Brussels World Fair and was never intended to be permanent.
7. I chose this because it is like no other building. It fascinating how the spaces for the guests are in the shape of small spheres connecting by small metal passage ways. I also love the fact that the spheres are so high up in the air.

Turning Torso, Sweden

Image result for Turning Torso, Sweden

1. Santiago Calatrava   
2. 2005
3. Malmo, Sweden
4. You can visit
5. No
6. This was built for commercial offices and rental apartments.
7. I picked this building because I think it is amazing how the architects planned the building to be twisting but still be structurally sound. Also, I think that it is really cool how the whole building turns and goes from narrow at the bottom to wider at the top. 

Sculptured House, USA

Image result for Sculptured House, USA

1. Charles Deaton
2. 1963
3. Jefferson county, Colorado, US
4. Private because it is a house
5. No
6. The architect wanted to build a house on a high point of land so he could "feel the great reaches of the Earth." 
7. I picked this building because the c shape that the roof and the balcony make is really clever and I like the idea of having a wall entirely made out of windows. I also love how the house is built so that you can get a clear view out the window or from the convenient balcony.  

Guggenheim Museum, Spain




1. Frank Gehry
2. 1997
3. Bilbao, Spain
4. You can visit
5. $89 million (US dollars)
6. The building was created to be a museum of modern art.
7. I chose this building because there are so many interesting and random components to the entire building. I also love the shapes, colors, and textures that make the museum a one of a kind structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment